Yay! I love this time of the year. The patriotic parties, flags flying, fireworks--that all feels like summer to me! I'm excited to be participating in the Red White & Blue Blog Hop hosted by the fabulous Abbey over at The Cards We Drew. You will love all the fun recipes, decor ideas and patriotic crafts that over 80++ talented bloggers put together to celebrate Independence Day in style! Want to see what my creation was?
Being a military wife, I've made a patriotic cake a time or two! My biggest tip--mini flags. Nothing tops a cake with so much umph, and not a lot of work! Haha. This time I decided to give the inside the special treatment. I was inspired by a recipe I discovered in a British magazine a few months back. The star was used in a Christmas cake (you can see the original recipe here). I thought how cool it would look over in America for the Fourth of July.With a few adaptations, I got this delightfully colorful patriotic bundt cake!
If you are a longtime reader, you know I like easy. So the cake recipe---it doesn't get any easier. I used a box mix. Well, 2 box mixes. In addition to the 2 white cake mixes, you will need: red & blue food coloring, a star shaped cookie cutter, your favorite white icing, and mini flag picks.
1. Step one. Mix the white cake mix according to package directions. Add food coloring until a nice vibrant blue is reached. Bake in a bundt pan according to directions.
2. Allow cake to cool. Once it is cooled, slice the cake into pieces, that are the same depth as your cookie cutter. Separate your pieces so they are no longer touching each other and freeze for several hours.
3. Keeping your pieces in order, cut a star out of each slice using your cookie cutter. Save remaining cake pieces for a tasty snack or cake balls.
4. Mix the white cake mix according to package directions. Add food coloring until a nice vibrant red is reached. Prep your bundt pan as before, and pour half the mixture evenly in the pan. Add the stars in the order they were cut. Allow them to stand up straight and align with the next star. Once your ring of stars are all arranged, top very gently with remaining batter. Bake according to the directions.
5. Allow cake to cool. Ice with your favorite white icing and decorate with mini flag picks.
The best part is cutting in to see the surprise!!!!!!
Follow The Cards We Drew's board Three Cheers for the Red White and Blue ULTIMATE Round Up of Patriotic Ideas from Top Bloggers! on Pinterest.
Don't forget to grab your FREE PRINTABLE!