Summer is in full swing, and we are loving hot Texas nights for giving us an excuse to enjoy cold ice cream. Nothing tastes better on the back porch. My kiddos love ice cream sandwiches, but I hate the mess. We have combined our favorites into a fun sundae so the only thing I have to clean are the dishes (and a few drips off their chins!). Nothing beats a classic premium vanilla ice cream, and our go to is Blue Bunny Ice Cream. For this mouthwatering dessert I used other classic favorites, like Chips Ahoy cookies, Hershey’s chocolate sauce, and my own homemade butterscotch sauce! The secret to this recipe is dipping the cookies into the butterscotch sauce and allowing it to set up. The hardest part is waiting to assemble the ice cream sandwiches!
Assembling the sandwiches is pretty straight forward, but I’m gonna walk you through the steps I use.
1. Start by making my butterscotch sauce (recipe below). Dip each Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies into the butterscotch sauce with tongs. Allow to cool on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once it’s full, place in the refrigerator. The recipe for the sauce covers one side of an entire regular size bag of cookies, with a bit more to spare to drizzle with!
2. Once your cookies have set up, place 1 medium scoop of Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream on 1/2 the cookies (the other half will be the top!).
Work quickly before the ice cream melts! Top each scoop with a remaining cookie. Cover the sheet with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until you are ready to assemble the sundaes.
3. Once your ice cream cookie sandwiches are set up, place 2-3 in a bowl.
Top with whip cream, Hershey’s chocolate syrup, leftover butterscotch sauce, and a little piece of Hershey’s chocolate bar.
Eat as soon as possible. My boys seem to have no problem doing this! HAHA! The hardest part for me is that the boys will continue to come and ask for more Blue Bunny Ice Cream after they have eaten their whole bowl! Their stomachs are bottomless pits!
I found everything I needed for the sundaes at my local Walmart store. Blue Bunny Ice Cream is found in the freezer area. My store actually had the Blue Bunny brand on an end cap. Be sure to stock
The hardest part is choosing from flavors (they have several Vanilla flavors among all the others!). Now about that butterscotch recipe…….
HOMEMADE BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 6 TBSP salted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
2. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Mix together thoroughly and remove from heat.
3. Allow sauce to thicken for about 5 minutes before dipping cookies.
4. The sauce will continue to thicken. You can place back over the heat if you need to soften and thin it out again. I keep my leftover in a container and reheat in the microwave.
Pretty easy peasy huh?
What’s your favorite ice cream topping? I can’t decide!
Looking for more ideas? Blue Bunny has teamed up with Walmart and they are offering fun demo’s in their stores .. You’ll be able to sample Blue Bunny Ice Cream and see creative recipes they have created alongside favorite classics. What better way to be inspired for a summer dessert recipe than indulging in a taste! In addition to the demo’s, you can find other recipes HERE. Be sure to check them out!
Are you inspired to try this recipe? Please pin now, to save for later!