You will adore this chipotle chicken chili! A perfect recipe to warm you up! This chicken chili recipe features chipotle, black beans, corn and spices.
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN CHILI
When I think of the holidays, I think of decadence. Of filling our tummies with those treats we might not indulge in at other times of the year. I also think of the hustle and the bustle, and the rush to fit everything in. This Chicken Chili is one our family favorites, and it’s perfect for this time of year. It’s healthy - and chock-full of veggies and protein. The base is simple. A mix of onions, red pepper, garlic, and chicken. Add in some flavors like paprika, chile powder, cumin, and oregano. Finish it off with black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes with green chilies
You can start the mixture on the stove top, and either simmer for a bit, all day, or even make it in your crock pot. You can slow cook it all day, or make in that hour before dinner time. The flavors will make your tummy happy, and the fact that it is so full of veggies will make you happy. Which of course means you can feel a little less guilty about all that holiday indulging!
*****This shop originally appeared in December 2015 and was compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser Hunts®. All opinions are mine alone. This post also contains affiliate links. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe would be a good fit for my readers. This comes at no added cost to you! You can find my disclosure statement here.
I've had this dutch oven since about 2004 and I simply adore it. I use it several times a week and it still makes me smile.
I received it as a Christmas gift, and talk about the gift that keeps on giving. I have another friend who has had her Le Crueset Dutch Oven since she was married over 40 years ago! How cool is that?!!!
To keep mine clean I use this amazing cleaner.
Topped with sour cream, fresh cilantro, jalapeños, red peppers, and avocado - the stew has a bit of a tortilla soup flavor, but with a more substantial substance to it.
It's chunky and not pureed. I love a good tortilla soup, but there is something about having the stew like consistency this chicken chili provides.
The black beans and chicken provide a healthy portion of protein. The tomatoes, corn, peppers, and avocado provide veggies. It’s a full well rounded meal in one bowl! The recipe could easily be adapted to be vegetarian by subbing more black beans in for the chicken. It would also be great to throw some quinoa in if you wanted to stretch it a bit further still.
This chicken chili is perfect for when you need something to cook in advance, or in a slow cooker. Great for those cold winter nights, but the truth is we eat it year round! It doesn't get that cold here in Texas, but why let that stop us?
This whole pot will feed my whole family, and that includes the ravenous teenage boys. Sometimes we even have left overs! It reheats beautifully.
For the recipe you can use Chipotle flavored hot sauce, or you can simply use chopped chipotles in adobo sauce. A little goes a long way with the later, so be sure to check what level heat you'd like. I know some people find keeping the hot sauce available is easier, but we use a lot of chipotles around here, so we always have a jar in the fridge.
I also used a bottle of chicken broth, but have you ever considered making your own? I love the idea of using rotisserie chicken to make homemade broth from The Pinning Mama.
Suggested garnishes for Chipotle Chicken Chili:
- Avocado slices
- sour cream
- fresh jalapeño slices
- tortilla strips
What soup or chili isn't complete without a serving of bread? I like to serve my garlic pull apart bread, but for those of you who need cornbread with your chili (I feel ya peeps!), I recommend the jalapeno popper cornbread muffins from The Crumby Kitchen. YUM!
What's your favorite meal to make during the holidays that makes you feel a little less guilty? Leave me a comment-- I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Don't forget to PIN THIS PIN or better yet! Follow me on Pinterest!
Need more quick weeknight meals? You might like these:
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE:
Chipotle Chicken Chili
- 1-2 tablespoon oil I use Grapeseed, but Olive Oil would work
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 lbs chicken breast diced into about ½ -1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon Chipotle hot sauce, or 2 teaspoon chipotle and adobe from a can
- 15 oz 1 can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz 1 can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 10 oz 1 small can Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 32 oz Chicken Broth I use the lower sodium type
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add in onions, garlic, red pepper, and chicken.
- Allow to sauté and cook until the chicken is cooked, and veggies are soft. Drain any excess liquid.
- At this point, you can transfer to a slow cooker, crock pot, or continue cooking on the stove with the Dutch Oven.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and chipotle hot sauce. Cover chicken and veggies well.
- Add in black beans, corn, diced Tomatoes, and mild diced tomatoes & green chilies. Cover with chicken broth.
- Allow to come to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or all day. In a crock pot, cook 4-8 hours.
- Garnish as desired, and ENJOY!
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Squares - December 13, 2020
- Chocolate Caramel Bars - January 28, 2020
- Free Printable Santa Claus Is Coming To Town Gift Tags - December 13, 2019