I love Apple Butter in the fall. It’s one of my favorites. I can eat it on my morning toast, my kiddos eat it for lunch (peanut butter & apple butter for the win!), and we’ve even put it on vanilla ice cream. I grew up not far from Amish country, in the midwest and can remember crocks of this delicacy residing in our fridge. I look forward to making a big batch in my crockpot several times over the autumn season. It makes your house smell oh so good! This is the easiest slow cooker recipe imaginable. I tweaked the recipe from one passed to me by a sweet friend. She passed away last year from cancer, so it is bittersweet to make it, as it made me think lots about her and her friendship.
The apple butter is really thick and flavorful, so a little goes a long way. I usually make a huge batch, and divide it into containers for either freezing it or passing it on to friends. The day after I made this batch I experienced something I never had before. I lost my vision. In a split second everything became very very very blurry, especially in one eye. The eye doctor said he would see me immediately and I reached out to a neighbor who was at my door less than 5 minutes later to drive me.
I really value her friendship. We’ve shared smore’s in the summer, traded cookies at Christmas, hung out at school functions and so on. But nothing says true friend and awesome person like coming through with help during an emergency. She drove me to the Dr where I learned it was only temporary (Thank God!) and was called an “Optical migraine”. Who would have thought. She picked my boys up from school and came back to get me after my appointment. What a trooper.
I knew I wanted to show my appreciation and I thought of the batch of apple butter I had just made. So I made some cute printables that I quickly attached and the boys were off to present the gift. Handmade and homemade goes a long way in showing appreciation, doesn’t it? I can’t thank her enough for helping me, but I hope I made her day just a little bit sweeter.
Today, I’m sharing both the recipe and the printables so you can thank those special people in your life!
Leave as a circle or cut out the flower shape. Use twine for a rustic look and enjoy seeing those smiles from your lucky recipients!
RECIPE FOR APPLE BUTTER:
- Remove skin from apples. Cut flesh into 1/2 inch cubes. (I usually try to fill my crockpot half full, so 2 large bags of apples).
- Place in slow cooker with 1/4-1/2 cup apple juice (the more apples, the more juice)
- Cook on high, covered, for 4 hours
- After apples are nice and soft, mash with a potato masher. If you want it lumpier, leave lumps, if you want it more smooth-mash more
- add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of each: nutmeg, cloves, ginger and salt. Add 1 tsp. vanilla
- Stir really well to combine. Let cook, UNCOVERED, for 2-4 hours, stirring throughout. The apple butter will become nice and dark. Enjoy!
Looking for more ideas? You might check out these:
Mini Pumpkin Custard Gingerbread Tarts
Oversized Chalkboard Canvas with Free Printable
Favorite Fall Fonts
Fall Decor Tour
Want to see what other recipes I’m working on, things I’m crafting, decor items I’m finding or what my family is up to? Be sure to follow me on social media!
Don’t forget to pin for later!