This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Ham potato and cheese pie is the perfect recipe to use up that leftover holiday ham. It features layers of cheesy sauce, sliced potatoes and puff pastry. Do you have a lot of guests stopping by this holiday season? Enjoying the benefits of cooking a large ham but still have a ton leftover? You will love this cheesy ham and potato pie!
Ham Potato and Cheese Pie
This post originally appeared Nov 30, 2015 and was compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser Hormel Hams. All opinions are mine alone. This post also contains affiliate links. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe would be a good fit for my readers. This comes at no added cost to you!
I don’t know about you, but this Holiday season, I’m going with the words “make it easy”. I’m doing everything I can to keep things simple, but thoughtful. I’m trying to stick with low stress, and high return. With guests coming in, I’m looking at recipes that feed large crowds and can be utilized in more than one way. Right now, I’m loving a big bone in ham. They are good size, feed a lot of people and are a cinch to make.
To see how I cooked the ham for a crowd you can see my recipe here for Coke glazed ham sandwiches! Today though, I’m focusing on what I did with the leftovers. This is a simple and rustic dish, but it’s so yummy. You can make ahead and place in the fridge or the freezer. By utilizing leftover ham, you are getting more bang for your buck.
This is a great family meal, but it can be dressed up a bit to work as a party dish. The dish is geared towards my English roots, and says “British” all over it. It features large cubes of ham, fresh potato slices, and a wonderful puff pastry. To put a spin on things, I’ve added Italian seasoning and Italian cheese.
The fluffy puff pastry as a bottom and top crust is what makes this dish so special. You can use an savory pie crust, but I just love puff pastry. Those delicate layers of puffy goodness warms my heart. I use prepackaged puff pastry because I'm all about saving time!
Easy to take for a potluck, simply make in your favorite casserole dish. Don't you love this vintage brown stoneware dish I found? It's perfect for this cheesy potato and ham pie.Which is essentially an old fashioned comfort food dish on a cold winter day. Here is a post I did with some favorite comfort food meals.
Why settle with leftover ham sandwiches when you could have this? Seriously, what a great main dish this makes. Don't have ham? It's a perfect side dish even with that omitted. We all love scalloped potatoes, and this is just a decadent version in some ways!
Hints for making the best potato pies:
- Before I start, I pull my puff pastry sheets out of the freezer to begin to thaw. That's something you don't want to forget!
- To make this recipe go quickly, I used my food processor to slice the potatoes. You could do this thinly by hand, or with a mandolin. I'm all about the time savers though!
- Don't have puff pastry? That's fine too, simply replace it with your favorite savory pie crust.
- Sub out ham for left over chicken
- Experiment with the cheeses you use. I've used Italian, but maybe you want a cheddar cheese? That would go great with minced hamburger!
I’d love it if you shared my pin on Pinterest!
Ham Potato and Cheese Pie Recipe:
Ham Potato and Cheese Pie
- 5 medium sized potatoes I use a mix of yellow and red
- 1 cup cubed ham
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cheese I used shredded Italian
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg optional for egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pull puff pastry sheets out of freezer and allow to thaw.
- Peel your potatoes. Slice into thin to medium thin slices by hand, with a mandolin, or with a food processor.
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Salt. Allow to come to a boil.
- Once potatoes come to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and allow to cook 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain potatoes. Stir in cream and spices.
- Begin assembly of the pie: First layer a sheet of puff pastry. You might to roll out your pastry a bit to fit your dish. Next, add ½ of the potatoes slices, top with ½ the ham and cheese. Begin another layer of potatoes, and again top with ham and cheese.
- Finish the pie by placing the second sheet of puff pastry on top. Prick holes for venting, and add an egg wash on top if desired.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, until puff pastry is puffed.
Leave me a comment, and tell me what your favorite ham recipe is! Any tricks for leftovers?