Scalloped potatoes with bacon and jalapenos adds a spicy twist on your favorite creamy and cheesy dish. Features jack cheese, cream cheese, bacon and more!
Scalloped potatoes with bacon, cream cheese and jalapeños!
Scalloped potatoes with bacon have been a comfort food for me for as long as I can remember. But since we do live in Texas, I had to spice up that favorite family recipe. This dish is a combination of jalapeño poppers and cheesy scalloped potatoes. It's heaven in a dish y'all.
I've been on a total potato kick since returning from Ireland, the land of potatoes. I learned so much about them while over there that I know if I was ever stranded on an island and could have one food item - it would be potatoes.
Thankfully, I'm not stranded on an island so I can enjoy these nutritional powerhouses with Jalapeño Jack Cheese, bacon, jalapeños, more bacon, cream cheese, and bacon. Did I mention bacon?
In addition to the Jalapeño Jack Cheese, I added in pickled jalapeños. If your more of a mild dish kind of person, you can totally skip this part.
Scalloped potatoes with bacon and the creamy cheesy sauce maybe my new favorite side dish. Who am I kidding? This was totally my dinner the other night.
The star of the show is the Jalapeño Jack Cheese from Great Midwest Cheese®. I don't think I've ever tasted a creamier jack cheese in my life. I think this in itself made it such a great addition to the recipe.
Great Midwest Cheese® produces artisan lines of both cheddar and jack cheeses. They are hand-crafted in small batches and feature certified hormone-free milk. What you are left with is a smooth natural flavor that is perfect for your classic holiday dishes.
I love that the flavored cheeses can really spice up a dish. I *might* be addicted to Cranberry Cheddar in my grilled cheeses right now! What about you? Do you like to put a twist on your cheesy holiday recipes? Have you tried any of the Great Midwest Artisian Cheeses? Are you willing to go bold with jalapeños? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Scalloped Potatoes with Bacon and Jalapeños
- 5 lbs gold potatoes
- 12 oz jack cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 16 slices bacon cooked and diced
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baker with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Peel 5 pounds of golden potatoes. Slice thinly with a knife, mandolin, or make short work with a food processor.
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Salt. Allow to come to a boil.
- While potatoes are boiling, shred your cheese.
- Once potatoes come to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and allow to cook 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- In a large microwave bowl, microwave your cream cheese so it softens and begins to melt. This should take 1 to 1 ½ minutes.
- Once the cream cheese is very soft, stir in the milk, cream, garlic & onion powders.
- Pour a tiny bit of this cream sauce into the bottom of your baking dish.
- Drain your potato slices.
- Add ½ of the potatoes slices to your baking dish. Pour over ½ your cream sauce, sprinkle ½ of your jack cheese, bacon and jalapenos on this layer (the rest is for the top!).
- Repeat the previous step. Basically you made a 2 layers.
- Cook for 30 minutes in your preheated oven. You dish should be golden on top, and the sauce should be bubbly. Allow to sit and rest for 5 minutes and then serve!
Looking for other dishes with potatoes similiar to Scalloped Potatoes with Bacon and Jalapeños?
- Bacon Potato and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
- Potato, Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup
- Mashed Potato Pancakes
- Garlic Herb Skillet Potatoes
Want even more delicious recipes? Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!