This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Any supplies used may be given to me free of charge, however, all projects and opinions are my own.
Learn how to make easy homemade tomatillo salsa at home. Tips and tricks to pick the right ingredients and make restaurant quality salsa at home!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ExperienceFrontera #CollectiveBias
Easy Homemade Tomatillo Salsa
I’m a lover of salsa. If there was another food group, I’d vote that it would be chips and salsa. My love for the spicy stuff goes past the standard red salsa. Right now I’m on a roasted tomatillo salsa kick. Today I'm sharing with you my own recipe for roasted tomatillo salsa and what my favorite thing to eat with it is!
This stuff can get pretty pricey, so once I figured out how to make it at home I was overjoyed. It’s easier on my pocket book and makes a much larger batch than the amount in a jar. It’s easy peasy with only 5 ingredients. I make a large batch once a week and keep it in the fridge for those daily salsa cravings.
Other variations for roasted tomatillo salsa
- add in fire roasted tomatoes for a more traditional taste
- blend in avocado for a variation of guacamole
- mix in mangos and honey for a sweet addition
- Add a can of rinsed and drained black beans and corn to make a hearty dip.
I love having salsa on hand. This entire batch can last our family several days, which is saying a lot! Although I love to snack on chips and salsa, sometimes I need a real meal that is more substantial!
I sometimes find myself skipping lunch. With all the kiddos in school, I easily get sidetracked or don't want to cook or clean up dishes. I was so excited to find Frontera® freezer meals because now I have no excuse. They are quick to prepare, leave little clean up and are inspired by Mexican flavors.
Look for these varieties at your local Kroger stores:
- Frontera® Chicken Fajita Bowl
- Frontera® Tinga Taco Bowl
- Frontera® Barbacoa Taco Bowl
- Frontera® Veggie Taco Bowl
Easy Homemade Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 12-15 tomatillos
- ½ medium onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tablespoon Chopped chipotles in adobo sauce 1 if you want mild, 2 if you want more heat
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Peel the outer papery shell off of the tomatillos. Rinse them well under cold water to remove sticky residue and allow to dry on a tea towel.
- Once dried, place the tomatillos on a baking sheet. Place garlic cloves on the sheet, along with a medium onion that has been sliced coarsely.
- Turn on the broiler. Place the baking tray about 5-6 inches from the heating element. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes, allowing the tomatillos to char nicely.
- Flip and char the other sides of the veggies. You might need to remove the garlic or onion if they start to darken at a faster rate than the tomatillos
- Allow to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, toss in the tomatillos, the pan juices, the peeled roasted garlic, onion bits, cilantro and chipotle. Pulse and chop until the salsa is fully blended and makes a nice saucy liquid.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. ENJOY!
JOIN MRS MAJOR HOFF’S EMAIL
Signup now and get my FREE ebook "Beloved Cranberry Recipes"
Yum!! This looks delicious! I love homemade salsa!